Every Polish citizen has the right to obtain a passport. Deprivation or limitation of this right may take place only in cases provided for in the act. The passport document entitles to cross the border and stay abroad, it also certifies Polish citizenship, as well as the identity of the person indicated in it, as regards the data that such document contains. Within their validity period, passport documents are the property of the Republic of Poland.
Passport issuance process
A passport document is issued at the request of an adult after submitting the required documents, collection of biometric data and paying the due fee. Diplomatic passports and service passports of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are issued free of charge. Temporary passports do not include biometric data.
An application for issuing a passport document is made in person, except in the following cases:
- application for passport document for a minor person is submitted by parents or guardians appointed by the court or one of the parents or guardians appointed by the court together with the written consent of the other parent or guardian appointed by the court, certified for compliance by the passport authority or notary;
- an application for issuing a passport document for a legally incapacitated person who is completely under parental authority shall be submitted by the parents, and for such person not placed under parental authority, it shall be made by a guardian appointed by the court.
When applying for the issuance of a passport document, the presence of a minor who is over 5 years old and a completely incapacitated person is required. When submitting an application for issuing a diplomatic passport or a professional passport of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the presence of a minor and a completely incapacitated person is required. In justified cases, when there is no Polish consular office or the conditions make it impossible or significantly hinder the personal application for issuing a temporary passport at the consular office, at the request of the person applying for the issuance of a temporary passport, the consul may waive the requirement of personal application and personal receipt of this document.
A written consent of both parents, whose signatures are confirmed by the passport authority or the notary, is required to issue a passport document to a minor, unless the parent was deprived of parental authority on the basis of a court decision or the authority was limited. In the case of non-compliance of parents' positions or inability to obtain the consent of one of them, the consent to issue a passport document is replaced by the decision of the family court. If obtaining the consent of one of the parents is impossible or significantly hindered, a passport document abroad may be issued with the consent of only one of the parents, if it is justified by the minor's best interest.
3. If a minor is staying abroad without parental care, a provisional passport may be issued without their consent.
The passport document is collected personally, except for the minor and incapacitated person, for whom the receipt of the passport document can be made by one of the parents or guardians appointed by the court. In justified cases, especially in conditions of particularly difficult access to the consular office, at the request of the person applying for the issue of a passport document, the consul may waive the requirement to collect the passport document personally. In this case, the provision of Art. 16 are not applicable. The person collecting the passport document checks with an electronic reader whether the personal and biometric data included in the document are consistent with the actual state.
Issuance of passport document may refused at the request of:
- a court that conducts against a person applying for a passport document criminal proceedings or proceedings in a tax offense, proceedings in a matter of a minor or civil proceedings;
- a body conducting preparatory proceedings, a body of enforcement proceedings in a criminal case, including a tax offense, against a person applying for issuing a passport document.
- In cases justified by an important interest of the person applying for a passport document, despite the existence of reasons justifying the refusal to issue it, the consul may issue a temporary passport. The consul informs the issuing authority of issuing such a passport.